Monday, December 1, 2008

me & my tv- the love affair.

one of my biggest pet peeves is when you ask someone "hey! did you see lost last night?"  and they just give you this look, and say "i don't watch much tv."
....

well congratulations. you are obviously a much better person than i am. do you want a prize?


i watch a ridiculous amount of television. i am aware of this. i've done it since i was in elementary school, and i would watch nickelodeon/pbs/disney channel for hours and hours on end. if anyone talked to me during boy meets world, i would yell at them and refuse to talk until the show was over.

but the turning point was the summer before 6th grade.

the show? buffy, the vampire slayer. 

my mom had been watching the show for 3 seasons, and i would always try to watch it with her. she had dismissed it as too mature, but then, when i hit that magic age of 11, (why 11? i have no idea), i was finally allowed to watch with her. 

it was love at first quip. buffy was my hero, spike was dreamy (the bad boy thing started early), oz was the best boyfriend in the world, and willow was the smart girl i aspired to be. i taped each episode and watched them on repeat until the next weeks episode. i could quote lines verbatim. (actually, i think i still can) but i was alone in my love, since no one else in my grade watched buffy. so then, i found the internet.

this was 1999/2000, so the internet was a little more limited then it is now. we had dial up AOL. so i searched buffy the vampire slayer, hoping to find pictures to put on my binder. instead, i found the AOL message boards. here were TONS (okay, maybe like 100.) of people who all loved buffy and wanted to talk about it! it was like coming home. they cared when oz cheated on willow with that skank werewolf! and that there was a whole episode where nobody talked! and that they were turning willow into a LESBIAN WTF?

that year i also got hooked on angel and roswell. old school WB was good to me. 

so that is where the obsession began. although, i don't really like the word obsession. it has such a negative connotation. like, you have no other thoughts.

i have lots of thoughts. i've been dancing my whole life, and now teach some amazing little girls. i love going out and getting all dressed up and cute. i have a huge family and i love all of them. i love to read and work out and shop too much. 

so all my tv thoughts are going here. i would post real life stuff here too, but my life is painfully boring at the moment, so i'll spare the details.

lets have some fun.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love love love your blog already! You're a really good writer, using fun words and it's really intriguing. I noticed your favorite tv shows... Have you ever watched Bones? It has David Boreanaz, of Angel fame. Anywho, I started watching it like 2 seasons ago and I am hooked. It's one of my absolute favorites. Didn't know if you liked it or not.
But this comment is way too long but I wanted to tell you that I will be subscribing to this blog, can't wait to read your thoughts. I am "obsessed" w/ tv, too. I always thought it was a bad thing, but knowing that a friend loves tv too, makes it all better. :)

Joey Bowles said...

I don't watch much TV
Joey